Friday, May 26, 2023

click below to hear Jim's music at "Tales From The Yonder Shore"

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhQ5ohjwdPA&list=PLQG1xw2dg9YyRupB2vgl3obNwBHpSkIoA&index=2


A Clown's Life ~ The Dogs Bark & The Caravan Moves On  

 “In telling our stories community is created"  ~ Studs Terkel

Summer in Isla Vista between freshman and sophomore year

 

“a what . . . a mime class?? Jon I thought we were going to sneak

into the movies at intermission and watch ‘Woodstock’ again?"  

"Well, the teacher just returned from France, she was studying with  

Marcel Marceau, it’s only 50 cents.” 

   

 

                            Is the fish Okay ?

The little one, barely 3 feet tall and not really able to talk, “something, 

something fish, something ok?” 

Her mom interprets, “she just wants to know if the fish is okay?”
some more,  “poo fih . . . wahah?” “ Fish in the water?

Yes, I’m going to take the fish home and put it in the water.”

A nod, "okay."  

   

Becca lands a nice looking string of "Rubberhead" salmon

 as children have been doing all summer at Jimbo's musical

clown shows

 

Been Fishing Lately? 

Strolling and playing accordion at the Morgan Hill Mushroom Mardi Gras, 

Two young women are walking towards me, one starts screaming,

“Ooh my god, are you the clown from the Monterey Squid Festival

 ten years ago??” 

“Yes, that was me alright.” 

“I can’t believe it.  You picked me to come up and catch a fish with you.  

I still have the Polaroid photo you gave me!”

“Hey, it’s great to see you again.  Have you been fishing lately?”  

Smiles and we go on our way.

 

 

 


The little rub board ~ Le petit frottoir 

Hey Mom, Mom, the clown gave me a potato

 

Arthur & Alan on State Street

     

“Hello Is Lenny There?”

“No, I’m sorry you have the wrong number.”

“oh, sorry.”   click

Later a second kid . . .  “Hello”

“Hello is Lenny there?”

“No, you have the wrong number, there is 

no Lenny here.”   click

Later a different kid . . .  “Hello”    

“Hello is Lenny there?”

“Listen there is no one here named Lenny.

Please stop calling.”   click

Later, the first or another kid . . .  “Hello”

“Hello, this Lenny,

were there any messages for me?”

This is the first joke I ever remember as a

little kid..  I was so young I didn’t really 

even know why it was supposed to be funny.

My Dad told us this story.

Later, together we used to watch Art Carney,

”The Honeymooners” & Red Skelton on tv.

 

 

  Colombo & Sons

 

   My friend Bobby suggests I get some kind of

   a small keyboard instrument to contrast

   with my height.  I tried a concertina and a

   melodian without much success.  I head down

   to Columbus Avenue in North Beach and

   below Broadway right next to the Purple

   Onion is Colombo & Sons Accordions.  I enter

   the tiny shop where a woman is playing a small

   accordion, she says to take on camping trips.

   She sounds really good.  It doesn’t look that

   difficult after 10 years of practicing classical piano. 

Gordon sends me upstairs, "there's a whole pile of 

    these little 12 basses.  Pick one you like and check

 

every note and button, both in and out to make sure 

it all works and we'll get you a case.”  

Upstairs is the original shop or factory as they were 

known  in the accordion’s heyday, over 200 of these 

factories in North Beach. The floor was the original 

rough, unfinished wood boards. The walls and slanted, 

gabled ceiling are the same rough lumber.  The afternoon 

sun fills the room with golden, brown, dusty light.  

   In the center of this accordion ghost town is a 6 foot high pile 

   of these little accordions laying on top of each other. There 

    were old leather straps still hanging over the work tables and a 

   few of the work men’s tools laying around.  I picked one with a 

   pretty little celluloid tile of an Italian village on the front, 

   got my case and was on my way.  My first session I tried playing

   a melody with just the right hand,  “oh sole mio.”  " Uh oh,"

   halfway through the phrase the bellows is completely extended 

   and I’m gasping for breath too.  “That lady at Colombo was really 

  good.  This is going to take a while.”

 



                        Huntington Park at Sunset

  I was practicing on my first accordion in the twilight, sitting on a bench 

on the eastern edge of Huntington Park up on Nob Hill between the 

Flood Mansion and the Fairmont Hotel to the east and Grace Cathedral 

to the west.  I hear someone whistling as they are walking down 

Cushman Street, an alleyway to my left between Huntington Park and 

the Flood Mansion. Over the 4 foot high hedge between the Park and 

the Flood Mansion, “Tweedle dee, tweedle dee dee, the birds in the 

treetops on Mockingbird Hill.”  

“Hello, good evening.”

“Do you know that song,” he asks?  

“No, not yet, I’ve heard it but I’m just learning.  How do you know the 

song?”  

An oddly dressed man, a short sleeved mustard brown shirt and navy 

blue work pants, out for an evening stroll.  Dressed like a refrigerator 

repairman. 

“I used to play it in the circus.”

“What did you do in the circus?”

Just as casually, as if he were a refrigerator repairman,

“I ate light bulbs and played the accordion with my feet.”

I found out later that was a popular carnival & circus entertainment 

in the ‘30;s, not chewing up light bulbs but putting as many things in 

your mouth as possible and/or playing a musical instrument with 

one’s feet.  Known as an ‘eccentric’ act, totally believable.  Though I 

was having enough trouble playing with my hands.                                                                          

  

  

                     

       

             

 “Manny, Manny come back, he’s not a clown, 

                   he’s just a man!”            


               The Pismo Beach Clam Festival.  

I meet “Crackers” the clown.  He suggests working the auto shows,

 “where the real money is.  Kids get on my nerves.”                         

“Are you a real clown?”

”Do you mean like this is what I wear at home and I’m playing music 

and I can’t find things and I’m dropping things a lot.”

“Um um, yeah.”

“Well what do you think?”

“I uh,  I think that you are , , ,”

                                          


                     

The original was a Christian Dior with just red and blue polka

dots from the Salvation Army store in downtown Santa Barbara

 

                                                           

Yodeling with Pet

                     

One afternoon at our group singing class

Pete Seeger arrived to look around the 

circus.  He had heard about The Pickle 

Family Circus from his interest in non profit

and community service organizations.  The 

circus toured throughout the year from 

Los Angeles to Seattle and helped raise money 

for community groups; day care, senior centers, 

schools and food co-ops. who would sponsor the 

shows.  These mostly small towns would help 

with logistics, hosting barbecues, bake sales 

and other events to raise money. 

 

We had finished our warm up exercises to  

help the performers who spoke in the show 

use their voices more efficiently as they 

didn’t have microphones in the ring.  Pete

explained that yodeling was breaking one’s 

voice intentionally to achieve that “yodel” 

and demonstrated a simple example.

Easier said than done for most of us.

 

 “The key to the future of the world is 

finding the optimistic stories and letting

them be known."  Pete Seeger

 

Something for everyone 

 

The birthday party in Redwood City,

is really an occasion for the extended family 

to get together; aunts and uncles,cousins,

grandparents, nieces and nephews, a house

full to the brim, 50 people throughout in a

quiet, residential, working class neighborhood

developed in the boom years after WWII.                                       

The one year old birthday girl immediately 

starts crying, so they just take her to another 

room, no problem.  Everyone is there to 

celebrate and have a good time together.

The women insisting I relax and have something 

 to eat afterwards.  Everyone brought food to share.  

The older men, “you want something to drink, a soda, 

a beer, some tequila?  Oh sure, you can stay a few 

days.”  The kids had a blast and when I was leaving 

they all run out to see my car, thinking it would be a 

tiny little one I had to squeeze in.

 

What's that ??

I was walking down the inside stairwell at the hospital one morning 

and I heard 2 doctors going down in front of me talking about a case.  

They aren't supposed to do that but they were unaware that I was 

behind them.  “Boy, this morning was a rough one. This poor guy, we 

had to do a pneumonectomy on him.

“What’s that?”  

I didn’t hear the reply. They exited the stairs and headed to the 

operating room, but I was kind of surprised that the second doctor 

didn’t know.


Later that afternoon I ran into Tom, the staff photographer.  He’s

photographed a lot of art work done by people in our program but  

today he was wearing full scrubs; gown, booties, surgical cap,

the works.

“Hey, Tom, how come you get to wear scrubs ?,”  I joked.

“Well, sometimes they ask me to photograph 

operations and procedures for the medical students, for teaching 

purposes.  Today I photographed a very unusual procedure, a 

pneumonectomy.” . . . I couldn’t resist.

 “What’s that?”  

“It’s when they actually remove one of the 5 lobes of a person’s lungs.

     ‘Jimbo the Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgeon’    Pay attention, 

learn something and maybe you can help the “other” doctors.

 

 

                        

             

“La Del Moño Colorado”   ”The Little Red Bow”

 

Sitting on a bench under a gazebo at the 

Healdsburg July 4th celebration,  I’m waiting 

to go on next and do my clown show.  I’m 

listening to a singer singing in Spanish.  

I recognize a distinctive instrumental riff 

from a familiar song but have never heard 

this tune.  A couple at the end of the bench 

point at their neck and then at me.  I point to 

my red bow tie and they affirm, nodding their 

heads, “he’s singing about your bow tie!”


After my show I talk with the singer in 

the parking lot and learn the name of the song, 

“La Del Moño Colorado,” a cumbia about a 

courtship tradition of giving a red ribbon or bow 

to one’s beloved as a symbol of their commitment.  

I find a version by “Los Pedernales,” “The Flints.”  

 

The link ~ Los Pedernales - La Del Moño Colorado

 

"The Little Red Bow' is a symbol of affection, 

given to the one who 'makes me dizzy all day long.' 

The suitor proposes to the girl with the red bow 

and in the video she shows her acceptance by 

returning with her ATV, her all terrain vehicle and 

offers him a ride, gesturing with her index finger, 

           “Would you like a ride?”  

He hops on the back and they drive off together.

Some of the lyrics; 

Que le digo si la miro,  Cuando la miro pasar

I say, if I see it when I pass by

Mi corazón se estremece, Y empiezo a tartamudear

My heart stutters and I start to tremble

La del moño colorado, Me trae todo el día mareado

The little red bow makes me dizzy all day long

De todas las que yo miro, Hay una que quiero más

Of all that I see, there is one that I want more

Con la de moñito rojo, Me quisiera  yo casar

With the little red bow I wish to marry 

     

   

 

 

 

 

 

 
 


 



 


                                               

 

No comments:

Post a Comment